Android apps are programmed in Java. TODO: Java tutorials!
Before you get started, you should make sure that you have JDK 6 or higher. You
can check this by opening up a terminal and running
javac -version. If
successful, the output should look something like
javac 1.7.0_45. Anything
1.6 is fine. Otherewise, you can get JDK here.
You can install Android Studio by following these steps:
- Start by downloading Android Studio from the official site.
- Open the
.dmgdisk image (Mac) or
- Drag and drop the “Android Studio” icon onto the Applications folder.
- Go to the Applications folder and open Android Studio.
- Follow the setup wizard to configure Android Studio.
- Choose “Custom” when choosing the type of setup.
- Select everything when selecting what components to install.
- Use the recommended amount of RAM for HAXM (if applicable).
- Agree to all the licenses and click “Finish” to complete configuration.
- Wait until all components are downloaded and installed. You may need your administrator password to install HAXM.